2020 Favourite List
Posted on December 26 2020
This year has been a challenge for most of us, no need to point out the obvious, but through it all, I found some great discoveries that brought a little comfort and cheer. I wanted to share them incase you needed a little lift too.
1. Start Here with Mel Robbins ~ an Audible Original. I took an online course with Mel Robbins a few years back and found her to be so down to earth and yet wise beyond her years. There are 13 short episodes on Audible Original of her giving out golden nuggets of advice on themes we can all relate to such as Happiness, Career, Relationships, and Self Care.
2. My favourite non fiction book of 2020 was Breath: The New Science of a Lost Art, by James Nestor. It's about how breathing correctly can change and improve your health and well-being with lots of historical information and instructional practices.
3. My favourite Memoir of 2020 was Untamed by Glennon Doyle, a profound reflection on her own life and how listening to your inner voice is vital to transformation. I listened to the audio version read by the author - WOW!
4. My favourite fiction book of 2020 was Nothing To See Here, by Kevin Wilson. "A moving and uproarious novel about a woman who finds meaning in her life when she begins caring for two children with remarkable and disturbing abilities".
5. My favourite cooking show on YouTube this year was definitely Jamie Oliver's, Jamie Keep Cooking Family Favourites. There are about 8 episodes in this first season and it's just lovely to see Jamie at home, often out in his yard cooking while his kids make goofy appearances. I think Jamie is one of the smartest, most resourceful and exciting cooks. I adore his recipes, which are healthy forward and I love his enthusiasm and excitement about making beautiful meals for his family.
6. My favourite gardening channel on YouTube is Garden Answer. Laura is an expert gardener with a ton of information and her yard is gorgeous. Very inspirational and if you like anticipating Spring as much as I do, this show will definitely add fuel to that fire.
7. My favourite song of 2020, though it was released in 2019, is Love Hangover, by Jason Greely. It's so catchy, I often notice I'm singing it as soon as I get up in the morning... a bit of an ear worm, you've been warned.
8. On Netflix, I was warmed by two Canadian shows this year, The Great Canadian Baking Show, which is light, yummy and fun and in the end you want all the contestants to win.
9. Schitt$ Creek, gaining a ton of popularity after sweeping the Emmy's this year. Very binge worthy and the seasons just get better and better as they go. Grab some kleenex though, there's a lot of touching moments.
10. My favourite person to follow on social media was and still is, hands down, Hannah Shaw, aka Kitten Lady. She rescues Neo-natal kittens and fosters them back to health, neuters them and finds them forever homes. If you need a pick me up or want to feel warm and fuzzy inside, head on over to her sites on Facebook, Instagram and YouTube.
11. My favourite fun hearted podcast this year was Eat & Drink with Ali Hassan & Marco Timpano. Two guys out of Toronto that explore a different cocktail and food item weekly. If you're offended by swearing, you might want to skip this one, but I find them very entertaining and have gotten some great ideas from them.
12. Brene Brown's Unlocking Us Podcast was a powerful (and vulnerable) regular listen this year, tackling a lot of big issues from 2020. I find Brene's brave way of confronting the issues very thoughtful and comforting. And she led me to my favourite TV show of this year and perhaps of all time ~
13. Ted Lasso, the best new tv show (Apple TV). I'm not ashamed to admit that I've watched it 3 times over already, so damn good!
14. My favourite short film of the year, How to Be at Home, by Andrea Dorfman, a sequel to her 2010 short film, How to Be Alone. It's about coping with the isolation during Covid-19 and it's beautiful.
15. My favourite recipe that I tried this year was this Turkey Meatloaf, super "moist" (haha, that word has changed so much b/c of this year) with a scrumptious sugar glaze.
16. My favourite movie this year, guys, I don't have one. I didn't see a lot of new movies, maybe you can suggest one? So I'll have to go with my perennial favourite, Groundhog Day, which Chris and I watch every February 2nd on our anniversary. :)
17. My favourite local blogger is Linda Hoang. She's got her finger on the pulse of fun things to do in Edmonton and area and also places to eat. Speaking of eating...
18. My favourite take out restaurant this year was Cartago. A local German restaurant with a delicious meatloaf (I'm on a meatloaf kick this year I guess).
19. My favourite cocktail of 2020 has to be the Mojito, brings back memories of Cuba. I followed this guy's recipe to the letter and it was fantastic.
20. My favourite cat of 2020:
Mickey enjoying this year's Christmas wrapping. Today is our 4th year anniversary of adopting him. He's brought lots of comfort and joy to us this year. He might be number 20 on the list, but he's first place in our hearts.
I hope you find something fun and/or inspiring on the list. And feel free to share any awesome discoveries you made this year in the comments.
Wishing you a comfortable holiday and a very healthy and happy 2021. xo